Brilliant and unique are two words which best describe talented singer, Bukola Elemide better known as Asa. Here are 9 facts you probably didn’t know about the 33 year old ‘Bed of Stone’ singer:
- Asa was born in Paris, France 33 years ago but grew up in Lagos.
- Despite recording different songs with Yoruba language, Asa cannot speak the language fluently.
- Asa’s stage name which means a hawk was inspired by her childhood days when she would drift away from home with no destination in particular.
- Asa once got admitted to study a diploma course in Theatre Arts and Music at Lagos State University but she later dropped out to chase her music career.
- She is inspired by the music of late Fela AnikulapoKuti, Bob Marley and Aretha Franklin.
- After dropping out of Lasu, Asa attended a music school, Peter King’s Music School where she learnt music composition and how to play the guitar more professionally.
- Asa’s 3rd album, Bed of Stone was ‘written on the road’. She wrote most of the songs while on tour of Europe and America.
- Although not a practicing Muslim, Islam actually inspires Asa and has been a motivating factor for some of her songs especially ‘Awe’. Asa practiced the religion for about 3 years while staying with her grandmother.
- Asa debuted with two albums. Well, this is a fact as Asa’s former label, Questionmark owned by Kelvin Luciano released a debut album (The Captivator) for the singer while she also went on to drop her own record which was self-titled. Both albums had similar songs as well as individual songs.